Monday, December 9, 2013

Entry for Holiday Writing Contest


            This is for Susanna Hill’s 3rd annual Holiday Writing Contest. This contest is for a holiday mishap, mistake, miscommunication, chaos or potential disaster (you get the point) and must be under 350 words. Stories may be poetry or prose so here goes . . .

 

CHRISTMAS TRAPPINGS

 

Tick-ity-tat, I'm a starving Rat.

I sniff for food and dodge the cat.

 

It’s Christmas night, I smell something sweet,

So yummy it curls the toes on my feet.

 

I search the bedrooms, upstairs and down,

I sniff every corner, every nook and mound.

 

Finding food is as easy as pie,

When there’s a trap, it catches my eye.

 

I twirl around as I hang from the rail,

And test the trap with the tip of my tail.

 

I dash to the kitchen and what do I see?

A bowl of chocolatey cookies. For me?

 

I climb on a chair, no time to piddle,

I leap with joy, and land in the middle.

 

I lick the cookies, I nibble and crunch,

I snort and sniff and continue to munch.

 

First one cookie, then two, three and four,

I eat, and I eat...now there's no more.

 

Daylight comes soon, and I have to flee,

My overstuffed belly lags behind me.

 

I plop to the floor and dart to my hole,

I can’t get in, I’m out of control!

 

I kick and I squirm, but I am stuck tight,

I try to escape with all of my might.

 

It seems the cookies were just a trap.

To fool a bungling Christmas treat rat.

 

I struggle and struggle until I yank free,

I run to the window and under the tree.

 

What do I see with my sparkling eyes?

Nut logs and fruitcake, a yummy surprise!
 
 
 

 
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
 

 

 

 

 

27 comments:

  1. What a great story, Sue! I love your little rat! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elaine! It's so great to hear from you.

      Delete
  2. Really cute, story! I can see the illustrations in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Cindy! I could see the illustrations as I wrote, but I haven't had the time to work on any of them:)

      Delete
  3. Even rats need to eat! I'm actually glad he got to nibble on all those goodies. :) It's Christmas, after all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Teresa, you are so funny! Thanks:)

      Delete
  4. A fat Christmas rat, gotta love that! And I do! Silly and fun, just what kiddies love! Happy Holidays, Sue! - Donna Sadd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Donna! I'm so glad you enjoyed my rat!!!

      Delete
  5. Oh, this is so fun! What a great story told in rhyme, Sue. I'm glad it ended with a happy rat. :-) Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it, Cheryl! I like happy stories too.

      Delete
  6. Cute story, from starving rat to stuffed rat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Yes, rats get hungry too. I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Yes, but you have got to love a rat that likes cookies!

      Delete
  8. Oh boy, there's no stopping a Christmas rat on a binge, is there?! Cute story! I especially liked the image of the rat's overstuffed belly lagging behind. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not this Christmas rat! I'm glad you liked his lagging belly, Michelle. I could actually picture the illustration in my mind as I wrote the story!

      Delete
  9. He, he! We've got a few family members who can get themselves caught in that sort of trap too! Fun story, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to take that as a personal warning this season and see if I can go light on the goodies! I don't need to be dragging my belly around like some old rat we know!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a delightfully greedy rat, Sue! He reminds me of Templeton! :) I love that after all those cookies and his worry about not being able to get through his front door, he's still tempted by the nut logs and fruit cake - just like a rat :) Thanks so much for joining in the holiday high jinx and shenanigans! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sue...this is BRILLIANT! What a fun and rollicking rhyme! Love your character...I, too, have a sweet tooth...that's why I try not to keep junk food and goodies in the house.:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun tale of a tail that eeks out an escape! Really fun, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great entry, Sue! Love the Rat. So cute.

    Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the rhyme, Sue! That rat sounds just like me...no self-control! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rats! I had a pet rat once and he was a crazy, scatty, ratty ball of energy. You capture that well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the Christmas craziness, Sue! You succeeded in making a rat cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can imagine that Christmas crumbs would be the best gift for a rat. What a fun story!

    ReplyDelete