Monday, August 26, 2013

5 Must-Have Reasons to Brainstorm

         
      
 
         Have you ever tried to dance without lessons? Could you sing without words? Or play a mandolin without first studying and learning the basic rules? Of course not. The same thing is true with writing, there are basic tricks to follow that will make drafting your story faster and your editing time cut in half. What are those rules, you say? I’m getting to that. Let’s begin by agreeing that brainstorming is a great way to gather a ton of basic knowledge of about any subject you may wish to write about.

        If you aren’t familiar with brainstorming, just grab a paper and pencil, jot down any subject matter that you might find interesting in the center. Then without too much thought, write every word and any word that comes to mind. When I tried this, I had a page filled with words. I wasn’t sure what to do next, that’s when I begin catagorizing the words to get a better idea of which way to take my story (I hadn’t fully formed a story idea yet.) I then examined my words and saw that I had a lot of descriptions for my topic AND the descriptions gave me a great idea for a new story which I would research later to make sure the topic was new and not just something that had been written to death (but that’s another story for later.) I immediately pulled out another sheet of paper and jotted down my plot thoughts as well as I could (I would reorganize them later in a more consistent manner.) The main point here is to get them on paper. Ha. Now the easy part is done you say? Naaa.

            Next, on a separate sheet of paper, I organize my plot into logical sequences. This is just to get me started with the first draft, I change my outline as I go along, adjusting it to fit the story. Hey, don’t be surprised when your story takes a side-road. Sometimes characters have minds of their own, and this is good, because they usually take you on an adventure you might have never experienced. And these side turns (twists), often make far better stories.

           So there you have it, the reason I brainstorm. Many writers they have the story outlined in their mind and go from there (we like to call them pantsters, and that’s fine), but I’ve discovered from experience that I need a map of sorts to keep my plot running smoothly and to make certain that all my story elements are in place before I begin, that’s where the outline comes in (we’ll discuss the best reasons to outline later.)

        As a published children’s author and poet, I’m constantly on the lookout for new authoring tips from other published writers, editors and agents in my field, for the same reason I listen to new songs and practice new techniques on my guitar. I want to improve myself. A few places you can look for tips and tricks of the writing profession are on the blogs of other writers. At the bottom of this page, you’ll find a few of my favorite blogs for gathering such information. And you’ll find a world of ideas when you start researching regularly.

       Don’t forget:

·         Desire to Write

·         BIC

·         Paper & Pencil

·         Focus on One Topic

·         Write Like Mad

That’s It! Ready Set Go!

As always, I wish you the best with your writing and hope this post will be of help to someone. Do you have any tips you would like to share?

I would love to hear from you or answer your writing questions in the comment section belowJ

 


 

As Promised, My Personal Fabulous Go To List:




 

 

C.S. Frye (Cali)



http://www.csfrye.com  (TurtleCreekTales)

 

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to give brainstorming a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete